Greek Pasta Salad │ Gluten-Free & High ProteinJun 24, 2021
A vibrant and colorful pasta salad made gluten-free and high protein with the addition of chickpea rotini. It’s the perfect side dish for a summer picnic or backyard BBQ!
GREEK PASTA SALAD
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (8 oz) chickpea pasta
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup (120g) feta, crumbled
- 1 cup (100g) Kalamata olives, halved
- Optional: fresh herbs like dill, oregano, basil, or chives
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl or mason jar.
- Prepare the chickpea pasta as per the directions on the box. I recommend cooking the pasta until al dente and rinsing it under cold water immediately after cooking to stop the cooking process. This prevents the pasta from getting too soft and ensures it holds up to the acidic lemon-y dressing!
- Chop the vegetables and combine them in a large bowl alongside the feta, olives, dressing, and optional herbs.
- Then, toss in the cooked and cooled chickpea pasta. Enjoy!
At Vitality Nutrition, we teach a formula called the Fundamental Four (ie. F4!) that provides flexible guidance on how to build balanced and fuel-focused meals. If you are enjoying this as an entree, we recommend adding a protein to the meal like grilled chicken or salmon. Let's take a look at the F4 in this recipe:
- PROTEIN: some protein from the chickpea pasta and feta. Make it higher protein with grilled chicken, salmon, or a burger!
- CARB: we find fibre-filled carbs with the chickpea pasta
- FAT: from the feta and olives
- VOLUME: bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, and cucumber
- FREEBIES: lemon juice, salt and pepper, garlic, and herbs
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation. Looking for more salad inspiration try our Blueberry Salad, Beet Salad, Sante Fe Salad, or Kale Caesar Salad!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.