Kale Caesar Salad │ Inspired by Una Pizza + Wine
Mar 04, 2021
It's no secret that Una Pizza + Wine is one of our favorite restaurants in the city. We love ordering their Kale Caesar salad for a hearty dose of greens to accompanying our pizza. We tried our hand at recreating the salad at home!
Our kale caesar salad is inspired by the restaurant Una in Saskatoon and is a sure-fire favorite with crunchy breadcrumbs, salty prosciutto, and vibrant kale. We love pairing this salad with a lean protein source like salmon or our Cheese & Honey pizza.
We adapted the Kale Ceasar Salad recipe from Culinaire Magazine by making it just a little bit lighter by adjusting the portions and dressing. However, we think our version is equally tasty as the prosciutto and parmesan pack a serious punch of flavour!
UNA'S KALE CEASAR SALAD
The Nutrition Facts are for a quarter of the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon (14g) olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 8 cups (~ 3 bunches) of kale
- 5 slices prosciutto, diced
- 1/2 cup (30g) freshly grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup (15g) bread crumbs
- 1 egg, hardboiled
- salt and pepper
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a small blender and blend until well combined. Be sure to add the zest of the lemon, too! NOTE: this makes a small portion of dressing but it works well in this recipe as you'll be adding lots of other flavourful add-ins to the salad later on!
- Place a medium frying pan on high heat. Add prosciutto and pan-fry until crispy. Remove the prosciutto from the pan and set aside for later.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the breadcrumbs to the pan and season with salt. Toast until golden.
- Shred the kale into bite-size pieces using your hands and place kale in a large bowl. Massage the kale until it has reduced in volume by about 25%.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and toss well.
- Then add the prosciutto, breadcrumbs, and grated parmesan cheese and toss.
- Top with a boiled egg and serve!
We enjoy this Kale Caesar Salad accompanied with Honey & Ricotta pizza or a lean protein like chicken, mahi-mahi, or salmon.
Exciting news! Our signature F4 Formula is now offered as a self-study course. If you are interested in learning about the four step formula we use to design our meals at Vitality Nutrition then click here to learn more.
While this salad does provide each of the elements of the F4, it may not be satisfying enough as a standalone dish. We recommend pairing it with a lean protein or homemade pizza on a fibre-filled crust to complete the meal!
- PROTEIN: prosciutto and the egg.
- CARB: breadcrumbs
- FAT: olive oil, prosciutto, & parmesan cheese
- VOLUME: kale
- FREEBIES: lemon juice, anchovy paste, salt and pepper, and garlic
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation. We highly recommend taste testing this salad at Una if ever you are visiting Saskatoon and looking for a great place to dine!