Fish Tacos with Mango SalsaMar 07, 2022
An easy and healthy cod fish taco recipe topped with a simple mango salsa and sliced avocado.
As Registered Dietitians we are often on the hunt for tasty recipes that feature fish. Fish is a wonderful source of protein, omega-3 fats, and key micronutrients like zinc. Finding tasty recipe that feature fish can be a challenge - especially if you are new to incorporating fish into your diet! Tacos are one of our favorite ways to enjoy fish and we hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! We sourced our cod from Charlie's Seafood Market here in Saskatoon.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon oil (eg. coconut oil, butter, or avocado oil)
- 2 large (1 pound) cod filets
- 12 corn or flour tortilla
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Optional: sliced jalapeño, cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce
- Prepare the mango salsa by combining the mango, red onion, lime juice, salt, jalapeños, and cilantro in a small dish. Set aside.
- Combine the spices and then sprinkle the spice mix over each side of the fish. Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook the cod for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through and flakey (10 minutes total).
- To assemble the tacos, heat the tortillas in a non-stick pan or in the microwave as per the package instructions. Then, add the flaked cod to the taco and top with avocado, mango salsa, and optional garnishes including jalapeño, cilantro, a squeeze of fresh lime, and hot sauce.
Fish is a wonderful source of omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. While white fish like cod has less omega-3 fatty acids than a fatty fish like salmon, you will obtain 221 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids per 100 grams of cod. As reference, we recommend aiming for 1,000mg of omega-3 fatty acids per day from EPA/DHA spread across the week!
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation! If you're looking for more taco recipes, try our Easy Shrimp Tacos or Chicken Tacos.
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.