Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with Avocado CreamaMay 24, 2021
CHICKEN TACOS WITH AVOCADO CREAMA
The Nutrition Facts are for three tacos made on corn tortillas with 3 ounces chicken, 2 tablespoon avocado creama, 2 tbsp crumbled feta, diced tomatoes, and purple onion.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds (4) chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Corn tortillas, feta, cilantro, diced tomatoes, purple onion, thinly slice radishes, extra lime wedges
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add half the chicken and sear both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each. Remove to a plate and set aside. Add the second half of the chicken and sear each side for 2 to 3 minutes each. Remove to the same plate.
- With the Instant Pot still on sauté, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, and jalepeno. Let cook for 3 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Then, stir in the canned tomatoes and seared chicken. Pour the lime juice over the top.
- Pressure cook on manual pressure for 8 minutes. As soon as the time is up, vent immediately. Once you can open the lid, turn the Instant Pot off, remove the chicken to a large bowl or plate. Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces by about half. Meanwhile, shred the chicken with two forks.
- Once the liquid is reduced, turn the Instant Pot off, return the chicken into the Instant Pot, and then stir the chicken to coat in the sauce.
- Prepare the avocado sauce (I like to do this while the chicken is pressure cooking). In a food processor, blend together the avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and salt. Taste and add additional salt or lime juice as desired.
- To serve, toast the corn tortillas on each side in a fry pan to soften and then top each taco shell with chicken, avocado sauce, and any extra toppings like feta, cilantro, purple onion, and diced tomatoes.
- The recipe makes enough chicken for about 24 tacos or 8 servings. I consider 3 tacos a serving. Any leftover chicken is fantastic to enjoy in quesadillas, taco salads, or burritos!
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation.
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.