Breakfast TacosFeb 19, 2023
Breakfast tacos are a delicious way to switch up your morning eggs. As Registered Dietitians, we love that this recipe is packed with protein and fibre to support blood sugars and keep you full until lunch!
Tacos for breakfast? Heck yes! Especially when they are this quick and easy to make. Our breakfast taco recipes includes scrambled eggs, pico de gallo, and avocado! However, the options are endless when it comes to making your version of the best ever breakfast taco. For example, add bacon, cheddar cheese and green onion on-top of fluffy scrambled eggs!
Click here for the full nutrition breakdown.
SERVING: this recipe serves one but feel free to adjust the portions to meet your unique needs and appetite. You can easily dial up the portions to make three or more tacos or double, triple, or quadruple the recipe to feed your friends and family!
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- ½ lime, juiced
- sprinkle of salt
- 2 eggs + 2 egg whites*
- 2 small corn or flour tortillas
- ¼ avocado, sliced
NOTE: you can use whole eggs, egg whites, or a combination as listed above. I like the combination of whole eggs with a boost of egg whites for the additional lean protein provided from the whites.
Prepare the pico de gallo by combining the cherry tomatoes, the white part of the green onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and sprinkle of salt. Set aside.
Whisk the eggs and egg whites and add them to a non-stick pan.
- While the eggs cook, heat the corn tortillas in the microwave or in a non-stick pan. Follow the instructions on the package for reheating!
- Assemble the tacos by adding the eggs on top of the warm tortillas. Add a scoop of the pico de gallo and the sliced avocado. Top with the green part of the green onion.
NOTE: avoid adding the juices that release from the tomatoes in the pico-de-gallo to prevent the tortillas from getting soggy.
Let's take a look at how you might customize the recipe while creating a balanced meal with protein, fat, carbohydrate, and volume:
- Carbohydrate: we chose a corn tortilla for a gluten-free version but choose whichever tortilla you enjoy most.
- Protein: a combination of eggs and egg whites were the protein source in our version but you could mix it up by adding additional protein to complement the eggs such as bacon or leftover meat like ground beef or pulled pork.
- Fat: we obtained filling fat with whole eggs and avocado. Other fat options include feta cheese or cheddar cheese!
- Volume: Our version include a quick, homemade pico de gallo but feel free to use whatever vegetables you enjoy. You could even use store bought salsa or pico de gallo for a recipe that comes together even quicker!
- Extras: lime juice and hot sauce bring the flavours of this recipe together. Use whatever herbs or seasonings you enjoy like cilantro!
Looking for more taco recipes? Try our shrimp tacos, fish tacos, or chicken tacos.
If you are looking for support from a Registered Dietitian to plan balanced, nutritious, and quick meals then click here to learn more about our services. Our team of Registered Dietitians supports clients in-person in Saskatoon and Regina and virtually across Saskatchewan!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.