Tahini PizzaFeb 06, 2021
A dairy-free pizza featuring a flavourful balsamic tahini drizzle and topped with chicken and fresh tomatoes and arugula.
We love pizza and have it almost every Friday. With so many versatile and balanced ways to prepare it, we never tired of it!
Tahini Pizza is one of Courtney's all-time favorite recipes. The tahini drizzle replaces classic cheese for a dairy-free version. For a gluten free version, we like the cauliflower pizza crust from Costco or the O'doughs Flat Bread found in the natural food section of Superstore. For those who tolerate wheat we recommend any multigrain pizza crust. For example, the President's Choice multigrain crust found at any Loblaw's store like Superstore!
What is tahini you ask? Tahini is to sesame seeds what peanuts are to peanut butter. Tahini is classically used in hummus and is delicious in this savoury balsamic drizzle that offers healthy fats and micronutrients (like zinc!) to this pizza.
The Nutrition Facts are for 1/2 the pizza prepared on a O'doughs Flatbread.
- 1 pizza crust*
- 1/4 cup (60mL) pizza sauce
- 4 ounces chicken, cooked**
- 1/2 cup (100g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful arugula
- 2 tablespoons (30g) tahini
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) boiling water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the base by layering the tomato sauce and pre-cooked chicken (or tempeh) on a pizza crust
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, prepare the tahini drizzle by combining the tahini, balsamic vinegar, boiling water, and salt. The mixture will be liquid-y at first but will thicken up as it sits. If it is too thick to drizzle, add more boiling water.
- When the pizza has finished baking, top it with the diced cherry tomatoes. Drizzle the tahini mixture on the pizza and top with fresh arugula!
- PROTEIN: chicken (or tempeh for plant-based)
- FIBRE-FILLED CARB: multigrain or gluten free pizza crust
- FAT: tahini
- VOLUME: tomato and arugula.
- FREEBIES: balsamic vinegar
We love serving the pizza with a large side salad for extra volume, colour, and micronutrients!
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.