Rockin' Moroccan StewNov 27, 2020
A warm bowl of vegetable packed stew is the best way to enjoy a hearty serving of vegetables on a cold winter day. This classic moroccan stew gets a boost of protein from chicken!
Our version of Rockin Moroccan Stew was inspired by a version shared on my friend Jesse's blog and was adapted from Janet and Greta at Looneyspoons. Substitute the chicken for chickpeas for a vegan and vegetarian alternative!
ROCKIN' MOROCCAN STEW
Search "Vitality Nutrition - Rockin Moroccan Stew" to add the recipe to your MyFitnessPal diary.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon each: cumin, curry powder, chilli powder, and coriander
- 1 medium (150g) onion, diced
- 1 (150g) bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks (100g) of celery, diced
- 2 large chicken breast (16 oz), diced
- 3 cups (750mL)of vegetable broth
- 3 cups (300g) sweet potato, diced
- 1 can (540mL) canned diced tomato
- 2 cups frozen or fresh kale
- 1/4 cup (30g) raisins
- 1/4 cup (60g) peanut butter
- squeeze of lemon
- Optional: cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the spices alongside splashes of the vegetable broth to prevent burning. Heating the spices helps to bring out their flavour!
- Add the chopped onion, bell peppers, and celery. Add a sprinkle of salt to draw the water out from the vegetables.
- Next add the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, and sweet potato and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, add the raisins, peanut butter, and kale. Stir to combine.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon and optional cilantro.
- PROTEIN: chicken
- FIBRE-FILLED CARB: sweet potato and raisins
- FAT: peanut butter
- VOLUME: onions, bell pepper, celery, diced tomato, and kale
- FREEBIES: spices, broth, and lemon.
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.