Roasted Kabocha SaladOct 06, 2021
A flavourful fall salad with seasonal ingredients like Kabocha squash and pomegranate seeds. The salad is brought to life with toasted walnuts, salty feta, and a tangy maple dijon dressing!
I love contributing a fresh salad to holiday supper as a wholesome option that everyone enjoys. Besides being super-nutritious, most of it can be prepared ahead, even a day or two in advance. Put it together at the last minute and wow your family, friends, and guests with a gorgeous presentation.
If you haven’t cooked with pearl barley before, you’re in for a special treat. It’s an ancient grain that has a pasta-like consistency. This yummy salad also includes fresh spinach, pomegranate arils (seeds), crumbled feta, toasted walnuts, and Kabocha squash. You can also use butternut squash if you prefer! Finally, a super easy, throw-it-all-in-a-jar-and-shake maple Dijon vinaigrette.
ROASTED KABOCHA SALAD
Nutrition Facts are for the version without bacon bits!
- 1 large package of spinach (~12 cups)
- 2 pomegranates (~1 cup), deseeded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) feta, crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) walnuts, toasted
- 1 Kabocha squash*, roasted and diced
- 2 cups pearled barley, cooked
*you can opt for butternut squash if you prefer!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Cook the barley according to package directions.
- Prepare salad dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a Mason jar. Give the dressing a good shake before pouring it over later on.
- Cut your squash into bite sized pieces. Spritz with non-stick spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Toast the walnuts in a sauce pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until fragrant and lightly toasted. Watch them closely as they can go from toasted to burnt very quickly!
- Place the spinach in a large serving bowl. Add the pomegranate seeds*, feta, barley, toasted walnuts, and squash.
- Shake the dressing before adding it to the salad and give the salad a toss. Enjoy!
*NOTE: you can find pomegranates deseeded at many grocery stores but if you bought whole, fresh pomegranate you can deseed it yourself. Watch this video for a tutorial.
- PROTEIN: grilled chicken and some from feta
- FIBRE-FILLED CARB: pomegranate seeds and barley
- FAT: olive oil in the dressing, feta, and walnuts
- VOLUME: squash and spinach
- FREEBIES: garlic, salt and pepper, and vinegar in the dressing
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.