MEXICAN SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE
* Search "Vitality Nutrition - Mexican Spaghetti Squash Bake" in MyFitnessPal to log this recipe in your food diary.
- 1 medium (1200g) spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon (5g) olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup (60mL) water
- 1 (150g), onion, diced
- 1/4 finely minced jalepeno or canned jalepeno
- 1 pound of extra lean ground beef*
- 2 tablespoons (30g) tomato paste
- 1 (150g) bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250mL) canned corn, rinsed
- 1 cup (250mL) canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (60g) grated cheddar
- Optional toppings: sour cream or plain Skyr yogurt, salsa, and green onion
* You can use any ground meat like ground chicken or turkey to replace the ground beef.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut your spaghetti squash in half length wise and remove the seeds. Sprinkle the spaghetti squash with salt.
- Place the spaghetti squash skin side down and bake for 30 minutes. It's ok if the spaghetti squash is slightly under baked as it will bake a second time with the ground beef mixture!
- Remove from the oven after 30 minutes and use a fork to gently remove the spaghetti squash from the skin. This will make it easier to eat later on! Leave the spaghetti squash in the skin as the skin will act as a bowl!
- Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven or pot on medium heat. Add the minced garlic and let cook.
- Then add the chilli powder, cumin, and salt. Add splashes of water and stir continuously. Heating the spices alongside the oil and hot water will help release the flavour from the spices!
- Add the onion and jalepeno to the spice mixture and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the beef to the pot and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the bell pepper to the mixture and let it cook down before adding the corn and black beans. Stir to combine.
- Fill the spaghetti squash boats with the ground beef filling.
- Top the filling with grated cheese. I added 1/2 cup total but you can add more if you'd like it cheesier!
- Bake at 350 until the cheese melts!
I like serving the casserole with a dollop of plain Skyr yogurt (it's tangy like sour cream), salsa, and green onion!