Hannah's Epic Breakfast SandwichJun 30, 2021
A breakfast twist on a classic BLT that is packed with protein, fibre and is oh-so-delicious! This Breakfast bagel is perfect any time of the day!
Some people argue that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I like to argue that breakfast is not so much a meal but more of a state of mind! You can catch me frying up eggs and egg whites at all hours of the day because they are easy, quick and pack a serious protein punch. This breakfast sandwich has been my go-to for lunch post-workout for the last week and I am pretty sure you are going to love it too. I mean, what's not to love - bagels, cheese, turkey bacon... do I need to go on!?
HANNAH'S EPIC BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 3 slices (90 grams) turkey bacon*
- 1 whole-wheat bagel**
- 20 grams marble light cheese
- 2 slice tomato
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- optional: pepper, garlic powder
* we used the Lilydale turkey bacon
- Spray a pan with a small amount of cooking oil over medium heat. Add egg and egg whites. I like to add some fresh pepper and garlic powder for some extra flavour! Cook to desired style (I like it over easy for a runny yolk!).
- In a separate pan, cook turkey bacon according to package instructions.
- Toast bagel in toaster and melt cheese onto one side!
- Add ketchup and mayo to the other side of the bagel.
- Finish assembling bagel by adding turkey bacon, tomato slices, lettuce and top it with your eggs!
At Vitality Nutrition, we like to build meals using the Fundamental Four formula which is a collection of four food groups that when paired together keep blood sugars stable. Let's take a look at the four food groups and how this breakfast sandwich is a F4 homerun!
- CARBOHYDRATES: whole wheat bagel
- PROTEIN: egg, egg whites, turkey bacon
- FAT: cheese, mayonnaise
- VOLUME: tomato, lettuce*
*I opt to have a side salad or some extra veggies to make sure I am getting a range of micronutrients and electrolytes with my sandwich!
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation. For more nutrition tips and recipes, follow Dietitian Hannah on Instagram @dietitianhannah_
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.