Black Forest Cake │ Smoothie BowlJun 02, 2021
Chocolate and cherries combine to make one deliciously thick and creamy Black Forest Cake Smoothie Bowl. This antioxidant-rich smoothie bowl is loaded with protein, fibre, and healthy fats making it the perfect meal or snack to keep your blood sugars smooth and stable!
If you love chocolate and cherries you are sure to love our Black Forest Cake inspired smoothie bowl! Featured in the recipe are frozen dark cherries as well as fresh cherries, chocolate chunks, and chocolate granola for optional garnish. The smoothie bowl tastes like chocolate cake batter thanks to the addition of cocoa powder, ground flaxseed, and vanilla extract! The frozen avocado may sound like a strange addition but it offers a creamy texture to the smoothie and makes it more satisfying as it offers both healthy fats and fibre.
We have a few recipes for smoothies or smoothie bowls on the blog including:
- Recovery Smoothie Bowl (our favorite!)
- Red Velvet Smoothie
- Blueberry Vanilla Smoothie
- PB&J Smoothie Bowl
Regardless of the flavour variation, we aim to build a balanced smoothie bowl by incorporating fibre, protein, and fat into the recipe. Adding fats, protein, and fibre to a smoothie bowl is especially important consider that the blender is doing much of the 'hard work' your digestive tract would otherwise. So by loading the recipe up with slow-digesting foods you ensure that your blood sugars are stable and you feel satisfied for longer.
BLACK FOREST CAKE SMOOTHIE BOWL
The Nutrition Facts are for the base recipe. If you'd like to make it more filling, we highly suggest adding more healthy fats as toppings like almond butter, extra ground flax, or dark chocolate or additional carbs (eg. fresh cherries or chocolate granola).
- ¼ cup (60mL) water
- ¼ cup (65g) plain Greek yogurt
- ½ scoop (15g) chocolate protein powder
- 1½ cups (200g) frozen dark cherries
- ¼ cup (30g) frozen avocado*
- 1 tablespoon (7g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (10g) ground flax
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
*if you don't like avocado, swap it for an extra tablespoon of ground flax, chia seeds, or almond butter.
cacao nibs, dark chocolate chunks, chocolate granola, fresh cherries, chia seeds, ground flax, almond butter, and more!
- Add the water, Greek yogurt, protein powder, cocoa powder frozen cherries, frozen avocado, ground flaxseed, vanilla, and salt to a blender or food processor and combine until thoroughly mixed. You may have to stop to scrape down the edges with a spatula!
- Use a spatula to transfer the mixture to a bowl. I recommend freezing the smoothie bowl for at least an hour before enjoying! It makes for a thicker and more satisfying texture.
- Top the smoothie bowl with your desired toppings. In the photos we used a square of 85% dark chocolate, 2 tbsp Kashi chocolate granola, and 1/4 cup fresh cherries.
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation. If you'd like to try another Black Forest Cake inspired snack, then check-out our recipe for frozen yogurt bars here.
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.