VANILLA BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE >> with a "secret" ingredientAug 07, 2020
This vibrant blueberry smoothie features a "secret' ingredient that is not only nutritious but adds a creamy and thick texture to the smoothie.
The secret ingredient? Zucchini!
I know, I know. I was super skeptical when I first heard about adding frozen zucchini to a smoothie. I promise that you can't even taste the zucchini and the smoothie is so much better with it. The zucchini adds volume to the smoothie but also a thick and creamy texture. Plus, it's a great way to make use of the abundance of zucchini in the summer months.
When freezing zucchini for smoothies, I recommend cutting it into bite size chunks and placing the chunks on a plate. Place the plate in the freezer. After the zucchini chunks have frozen, transfer them to an air-tight containers for storage. This method ensures that the zucchini chunks stay separate and easily break apart and add to your smoothie when it comes time to prepare it!
This smoothie is thick, creamy, and satisfying. The addition of protein powder and healthy fats from the flax ensure this smoothie fills you and keeps you fuelled. It's the perfect breakfast or post-workout snack!
VANILLA BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE
* Nutrition Facts are without toppings. In the photo I added 25g (1/4 cup) Kashi Crunch cereal, 50g of blueberries, and 1 tablespoon (8g) of reserved flax seed. This changed the Nutrition Facts to 442 calories, 32g protein, 11g of fat, 60g of carb, and 15g of fibre.
- 1 cup (140g) frozen blueberries
- 1 cup (100g) frozen zucchini
- 2 tablespoons (15g) ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup (125g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 scoop (15g) vanilla protein powder
- 1/4-1/2 cup (60-125mL) unsweetened almond milk or water*
- Optional Toppings: Kashi Cereal, reserved flax seed, fresh blueberries
- pinch of salt
*use less liquid if you like your smoothie thick for a smoothie bowl and add more liquid if you prefer your smoothie "drinkable"
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender (except for the toppings, of course!)
- Blend until combined. Start with 1/4 cup of liquid and add more liquid to acheive your desired consistency. You may have to stop throughout the blending process to scrap down the sides!
- Transfer to a bowl or large cup. Decorate with your toppings!
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.