SPAGHETTI SAUCE >> Darian's famous recipe!
Nov 17, 2020
Wednesday nights meant spaghetti and meat sauce in our house growing up. I have no clue why Wednesdays, but without fail, every Wednesday night my mom and I would work together in the kitchen to cook this delicious sauce.
This spaghetti sauce doesn't call for anything extraordinary. In fact, it's pretty basic! I think it's partially the simplicity that makes it so good!
I really can't take all the credit for it as it was a team effort. My mom and I would experiment with different herbs, spices, and amounts of tomato sauce until we got it just right. This sauce was #1 on my request list when I was younger and I still request it when I go home to visit!
This meals feeds my soul but also fuels my body with a balance of voluminous vegetables, protein from the lean beef, a base of fibre-filled carbs, and parmesan cheese for fat. The comfort and nostalgia of this classic spaghetti sauce recipe makes it a favourite to prepare and share with others! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
DARIAN'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE
Nutrition Facts are for the sauce alone. We recommend serving it over a base of lentil pasta, regular pasta, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles and topped with fresh grated parmesan! Search "Vitality Nutrition - Darian's Spaghetti Sauce" to log in your MyFitnessPal.
- 2 pounds (908g) extra lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (150g) onion, diced
- 1 (150g) bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup (100g) mushroom, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 cans (398ml can) tomato sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp chili flakes (optional for added heat!)
- Cook the extra lean ground beef in a large sauce pan on medium-high heat,
- While the beef is cooking dice the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms
- When the beef is cooked through, add the garlic, onions, and bell pepper cooking until the onions are translucent. Once the peppers and onions are cooked, add the mushrooms.
- Season the mixture dried oregano, basil, and a generous pinch of both salt and pepper.
- When the mushrooms have softened, add the two cans of tomato sauce.
- Let the mixture cook on low for 15-20 minutes before serving
- Enjoy served over lentil pasta, spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or regular pasta! In the photos, we used a red lentil spaghetti found at Costco or Sobeys. We love topping the mixture with freshly grated parmesan and fresh basil!
- Store in an air-tight container to enjoy throughout the week or freeze the leftovers and thaw for a quick meal when you need it!
If you follow the F4 Formula we use in our group programs and 1:1 coaching, this recipe provides:
- PROTEIN: extra lean ground beef
- FIBRE-FILLED CARB: if served on lentil pasta
- FAT: some from the extra lean ground beef + extra parmesan to serve!
- VOLUME: onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Plus extra volume if served with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash!
- FREEBIES: oregano, garlic, and basil
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation!