VEGAN MUSHROOM PASTA >> high in protein, fibre, + ironNov 16, 2020
This creamy Vegan Mushroom Pasta will transport you back to eating Campbell's mushroom soup as a kid. This version, however, is loaded with protein, fibre, and iron from the red lentils and made dairy-free with coconut milk!
You don't have to be vegan to love this plant-based Mushroom Pasta recipe. Lentil pasta offers a boost of protein, iron, and fibre and the addition of nutrition yeast imparts a cheese-y flavour but also extra protein and B12. Lastly, the coconut milk contributes a creaminess to the sauce like you might find in classic cream-based pasta sauces. Yum! Oh, and one more thing! The recipe can be made in one pot making it quick to prepare and clean up. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try!
VEGAN MUSHROOM PASTA
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion (150g), diced
- 4 cups (400g) mushrooms, diced*
- 1 can (400mL) light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125mL) water
- 1 vegetable boullion cube
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast**
- 1 package (227g) lentil pasta***
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: lemon wedges
*I like to use a combination of two types of mushrooms like white mushrooms and cremini mushrooms! Portobello work great, too.
** Nutritional yeast is a popular plant-based cheese substitute that is rich in protein, fibre, and B vitamins. We added it to boost the nutrition in the dish but it is optional!
*** We used Explore Asia Red Lentil Penne found at London Drugs, Bulk Barn, or Sobeys. You can also try any other lentil pasta available at your favorite grocery store!
- In a large pot on medium heat, cook the oil, onions, and garlic adding a splash of water as needed to deglaze the pan.
- Add the mushroom and saute until they reduce in volume.
- Next add the coconut milk, water, boullion cube, and nutritional yeast. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the liquid is boiling, reduce to a simmer and add the dry lentil pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- When pasta is al dente, about 12-15 minutes, remove from the heat and add in the spinach. Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and squeeze on some optional fresh lemon!
- PROTEIN: lentil pasta and nutritional yeast
- FIBRE-FILLED CARB: lentil pasta
- FAT: coconut milk
- VOLUME: mushrooms, onion, and spinach
- FREEBIES: boullion cube, salt and pepper, and lemon wedge
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.