- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion (150g), diced
- 4 cups (400g) mushrooms, diced*
- 1 can (400mL) light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125mL) water
- 1 vegetable boullion cube
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast**
- 1 package (227g) lentil pasta***
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: lemon wedges
*I like to use a combination of two types of mushrooms like white mushrooms and cremini mushrooms! Portobello work great, too.
** Nutritional yeast is a popular plant-based cheese substitute that is rich in protein, fibre, and B vitamins. We added it to boost the nutrition in the dish but it is optional!
*** We used Explore Asia Red Lentil Penne found at London Drugs, Bulk Barn, or Sobeys. You can also try any other lentil pasta available at your favorite grocery store!
- In a large pot on medium heat, cook the oil, onions, and garlic adding a splash of water as needed to deglaze the pan.
- Add the mushroom and saute until they reduce in volume.
- Next add the coconut milk, water, boullion cube, and nutritional yeast. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the liquid is boiling, reduce to a simmer and add the dry lentil pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- When pasta is al dente, about 12-15 minutes, remove from the heat and add in the spinach. Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and squeeze on some optional fresh lemon!