TOFU SCRAMBLE >> plant-based breakfastJun 01, 2020
A plant-based alternative to classic scrambled eggs using tofu. Tofu scramble is loaded with satisfying protein to start your day right!
Tofu scramble is a savoury and filling option for those mornings where you just don't feel like something sweet! With it's high protein content, this meal delivers long-lasting energy to keep you satisfied throughout your morning. It makes for a great pre- or post- workout meal, too. You can even make the Tofu Scramble the night before to reheat in the morning.
I loaded the scramble with volume-packed veggies for a boost of color and nutrition. I used mushroom and bell pepper but you can make it with any of your favorites. Saute your veggies with garlic, onion, and tamari and you are on your way to flavor town!
This recipe is a protein-packed, plant-based alternative to classic scramble eggs. I served my scramble on two slices of Silver Hill's Little Big bread with avocado. It would also be tasty served with a side of roasted potatoes or transformed into a breakfast wrap with a high-fibre product like the Flat Out brand.
The meal had a fabulous breakdown of the Fundamental Four Food Groups that I teach in the Food Freedom Formula group course with:
- PROTEIN: tofu
- FAT: smashed avocado
- FIBRE-FILLED CARBS: Silver Hills Little Big Bread
- VOLUME: peppers, mushrooms, and spinach
- FREEBIES: tamari, turmeric, and hot sauce.
If you have nutritional yeast (sometimes called "nooch") kicking around your pantry, it would make an amazing addition. Nutritional yeast is a nutrient-dense, plant-based cheese alternative that you can find in the natural food section of most grocery stores.
The recipe makes 2 large servings. You can store the leftovers and reheat for breakfast the next day. I actually ate the second serving for lunch. It was that tasty!
VEGGIE TOFU SCRAMBLE
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup (50g) mushrooms, diced
- 1 (150g) bell pepper, diced
- 1 small block medium-firm tofu (340g)
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Handful of spinach
- Saute the garlic in a large frying pan with a dash of water or drizzle of oil
- Saute your favorite veggies (I used mushroom and peppers). If you'd like to use spinach or any other leafy green add it at the end.
- When the veggies are cooked through, crumble the tofu into the pan. Cook until heated through.
- Add the tamari (or soy sauce) and turmeric and stir to combine distributing the vibrant yellow tumeric throughout the tofu.
- Add a handful of fresh spinach and cook until wilted
- Serve with toast, roasted potatoes, or make it into a breakfast wrap using a high-fibre wrap.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and reheated making this a great meal prep option!
* Nutrition Facts are for the Tofu Scramble and not the avocado, toast, or wrap!
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.