Strawberry Protein Ice CreamJul 31, 2022
This creamy ice cream inspired summer protein snack will keep you full, hydrated, and recovered.
Of course this healthy protein ice cream isn't a dupe for regular ice cream but if you are craving something refreshing, cold, thick, and creamy then this recipe might just tick the box! The combination of protein, fibre, and healthy fats in this protein ice cream provides a combination of nutrients that will keep your blood sugars stable. Additionally, the natural electryoltes found in the berries, protein powder, and sprinkle of salt will help to support your hydration status!
Some tips for the recipe:
- Fruit: We find frozen strawberries work the best for the recipe because their high water content makes for a thicker concoction. However, feel free to mix it up with different fruits like frozen banana, frozen mango, or berries!
- Protein Powder: we find that a dairy-based (ie. whey) protein powder works best as it lends to a creamy texture. You can use a plant-based protein powder, however, it might by a bit gritty and less 'fluffy.'
- Liquid: you can use water for this recipe, however, we find that an unsweetened milk (eg. almond milk or dairy milk) makes for a creamier texture and adds a boost of micronutrients like calcium and vitamin D.
- Nut butter: any nut butter will work including peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter, tahini, or even two tablespoon of a seed like ground flax, chia, or hemp hearts!
- Add the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Scrape the contents into a bowl.
- Set in the freezer to chill for about one hour
You can omit the nut or seed butter in this recipe, however, we like to add a fat source to help to delay the digestion and breakdown of the natural sugars found in the strawberries. This helps to keep blood sugars smooth and steady for a longer time!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.