Broccoli, Ham, & Cheddar Baked Egg Bites with Cottage CheeseDec 11, 2023
These baked egg bites are an easy and delicious way to add protein to your mornings!
Cottage cheese offers a boost of protein and calcium to these baked egg muffins. Customize your egg bites with whatever cooked vegetable, cheese, and/or meats you have in the fridge! We used broccoli, ham, and cheddar cheese in our version. You can complete this as a breakfast meal by adding a piece of fruit or toast for carbohydrate. Alternatively, enjoy these egg bites as a high-protein snack!
BROCCOLI, HAM, & CHEDDAR BAKED EGG BITES WITH COTTAGE CHEESE
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (250g) pressed cottage cheese*
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup steamed broccoli, chopped
- 4 slices Canadian back bacon or ham, chopped
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
* we used pressed cottage cheese from Costco for this recipe as it has very little liquid. The water content of 'regular' cottage cheese can cause the egg bites to become water-y. You can also used dry curd cottage cheese for this recipe!
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and add the cottage cheese. Use an immersion blender to combine. Alternatively, add the eggs and cottage cheese to a blender and blitz. Season with salt and pepper.
- Steam the broccoli and then chop into pieces. Stir the broccoli into the egg mixture.
- Chop the ham or Canadian back bacon into small pieces. Stir the ham into the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups of a non-stick muffin tray. Top each egg cup with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Let cool before removing from the muffin tin. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Enjoy them cold or microwave for 30 seconds when you are ready to eat!
NOTES: You can use about 1-2 cups total of any combination of cooked vegetable, cheese, or even meat. For example, roasted red pepper with sautéed spinach and feta.
At Vitality Nutrition our nutritionists encourage clients to build balanced meals using the Fundamental Four model we teach inside our online course and nutrition coaching programs. The Fundamental Four includes four food groups that each offer unique benefits to blood sugar management, energy levels, sport performance and recovery, and more. Let's review a breakdown of the four food groups and how this meal stacks up!
- Protein: eggs, cottage cheese, and Canadian back bacon or ham
- Fat: eggs and cheddar cheese
- Volume: broccoli
- Carbs: none in the egg bites - add carbs on the side such as a piece of fruit or toast.
Our dietitians teach you to build meal and snack ideas that are unique to your personal goals whether that be managing a chronic condition, changing body composition, improving energy, building a healthy relationship with food, supporting hormones, or navigating changes in the lifecycle like a pregnancy, breastfeeding, peri-menopause or menopause, and others. While these goals may be unique, a foundation that stays consistent is learning to support blood sugars by building meals and snacks that incorporate protein, fats, fibre, and carbohydrates!
Links to kitchen tools we used in this recipe:
Looking for recipes using eggs? Try our high-protein breakfast sandwich!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.