Breakfast Energy BowlApr 16, 2021
We love this bowl because it has a ton of veggies, which can be tricky to get in, especially at breakfast! Did you know that different coloured vegetables offer different micronutrients and antioxidants? The more colourful your bowl, the better!
Our version uses turkey sausage as the main protein source and potatoes for our carb. But the sky's the limit when it comes to variations you can make. Try using sweet potato and black beans for a Mexi style or skip the potatoes all together for a lower carb option.
BREAKFAST ENERGY BOWL
The Nutrition Facts are for one serving made without any added sauces. You can add this food to your MyFitnessPal diary by clicking here.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium potato or 8 little potatoes (150g), diced
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Chicken or Turkey Sauage*
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- ¼ medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 mushrooms, diced
- 1 egg**
- 1 cup arugula or spinach
- Optional: garlic powder, Mrs. Dash, or any of your favourite herbs and spices!
* We used PC Turkey smoked sausage but any chicken or turkey sausage works. We also love Connie's Kitchen Feta and Spinach Chicken Sausages you can find at Costco!
** Add an extra egg or some egg whites if you're hungry
- In a large bowl, mix potatoes, 1/2 tsp olive oil, garlic powder (optional) salt & pepper, and cook in an air fryer or roast in the oven until tender
- Cut sausage into rounds and cook sausage following package instructions
- Heat 1/2 tsp of olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat
- Add chopped veggies to the pan
- Once the sausage is cooked, remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook 1 egg to your preference (we suggest over easy-medium so the yolk runs a bit!).
- To assemble your bowl, add arugula or spinach (or both!) as the base followed by potatoes, sausage, veggies, and top with eggs!
- Mix everything together for a yummy explosion of flavours!
Optional - add 1 tbsp of ketchup or mayo (or both!) for extra flavour.
Exciting news! Our signature F4 Formula is now offered as a self-study course. If you are interested in learning about the four-step formula we use to design our meals at Vitality Nutrition then click here to learn more. These wraps contain:
- PROTEIN: Turkey sausage and egg
- FAT: olive oil and fat from protein sources
- VOLUME: arugula and cooked veggies
- FFC: potatoes
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation.
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.