Banana Bread Protein PancakesMay 05, 2022
Made with banana, oats, egg, egg whites, and spices these pancakes are packed with protein and fibre-filled carbs to keep you full all morning long or recover and energize before or after a workout!
The combination of protein and carbohydrate in these pancakes makes for an energizing pre-workout meal or a replenishing post-workout option. The banana pancakes are similar to a previous recipe we shared (click here) but are free of protein powder making them a perfect fit for those who do not have access to protein powder, prefer to source their protein from whole foods, or are looking for a kid-friendly option to feed the little ones!
The only thing better than protein pancakes are the add-ons you choose as toppings! Some of our favorite toppings include:
- Fresh fruit
- Chia berry jam
- Nut butters
- Shredded coconut
- Maple Syrup
- Hemp hearts
- Vanilla Greek or Skyr yogurt
We topped ours with fresh strawberries and blackberries, a generous drizzle of almond butter, a sprinkle of hemp hearts, and few glugs of maple syrup!
- Add the oats to a small hand blender and blitz into oat flour.
- Add the egg, egg whites, banana, ground flax, baking powder, and salt to the blender and blitz until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or large frying pan to medium high and spritz with non-stick spray
- Pour the batter into 5-6 small pancake shapes. Flip when bubbles form and cook on the other side. About 2-3 minutes per side!
- Top with your desired toppings. Our favorites are fresh berries, almond butter, and a drizzle of maple syrup!
Protein pancakes are a wonderful pre-workout or post-workout meal thanks to the combination of carbohydrates (from the oats and fruit) and protein (from the eggs and egg whites). Consuming these pancakes 1-2 hours before or after your workout for optimal energy and/or recovery! You can read more about workout nutrition here or listen to our Podcast episode on peri-workout nutrition here.
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation! If you're looking for more ideas for pancakes try our whole food pancakes, protein powder based pancakes, or cottage cheese waffles!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.