COTTAGE CHEESE WAFFLES >> a protein packed waffle!Apr 01, 2020
These freezer-friendly waffles that are made right in a blender! They are packed with 32g of protein to keep you full, satisfied, and energized to conquer your day.
This high protein recipe can be turned into pancakes or waffles. You can use 1/3 of the recipe for a single serving - but I recommended making the full batch and freezing the leftovers. They can easily be reheated for an on-the-go breakfast!
The recipe provided is the "base" but you can experiment by incorporating flavored protein powder, extracts, vanilla, or cinnamon. Take your waffle to the next level by topping it with fun ingredients. Some ideas:
- Natural peanut butter or almond butter
- Thawed berries (a lower sugar 'syrup' alternative as the juices from the berries add sweetness and moisture)
- A sprinkle of unsweetened coconut
- Chopped nuts
- Slice bananas
With a few creative toppings, this waffle easily hits the mark on the four components I prioritize in almost all of my meals.
- Protein: egg whites and cottage cheese
- Fibre-Filled Carb: oats
- Fat: toppings like nut butter, coconut, or hemp hearts
- Volume: like fresh berries, thawed berries, or chia jam!
- 1 cup uncooked oats (80g)
- 1 cup liquid egg whites (252g)
- 1 cup cottage cheese (250g) *
- 30g protein powder (1 scoop) **
- pinch of salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Experiment with flavored protein powders, extracts, vanilla, or cinnamon for a unique twist on the classic recipe.
- Cook in a waffle iron (or griddle for pancakes) as you would other recipes
- Dress up your waffle or pancakes with your favorite toppings (note: the nutrition facts provided are for the base recipe).
* I have made the recipe with 'regular' cottage cheese or 'dry curd' cottage cheese. If you use the dry curd, you may have to add water or milk to achieve a "pourable" consistency
** the protein powder can be omitted from the recipe and they will turn out just fine!
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.