24. A Dietitian's Nutrition Guide for Runners | What to Eat Before, During, & After a Run
In this comprehensive guide the Registered Dietitians at Vitality Nutrition explore key nutrition principles for beginners and advanced runners to improve performance, recovery, and meet the unique nutrient need for running.
The dietiitans touch on key nutrition concepts for running including calorie requirements, macronutrient needs, nutrition timing, micronutrients of importance, supplements, and more!
Some key takeaways from the show:
- Eat enough to meet your energy requirements and work with a Registered Dietitian who can support you in tailoring your energy intake for specific performance, body recomposition, or fat loss goals.
- Consume carbohydrates, protein, and fats in your meals and snacks to meet your need. Specific guidelines are (3-5g/kg of carbohydrate, 1.2-2.2g/kg of protein, and 1.0g/kg of fat or no less than 20% of total energy).
- Prioritize carbohydrates before a run and carbohydrates alongside protein after a run.
- Reduce fat and fibre in the meal or snack 0-2 hours before your run if you experience gastrointestinal upset or discomfort while running.
- Drink water throughout the day and before/after runs using your thirst cues and symptoms of dehydration to understand your unique fluid needs. General recommendations start at 2.2L per day for women and 3.0L for men.
- Consume electrolyte rich foods like salt, fruits, and vegetables to meet your electrolyte needs and work with a Registered Dietitian to supplement with electrolytes if needed.
- Consider unique micronutrients by prioritizing foods rich in iron and antioxidants and supplement with vitamin D.
- When running for longer >90 minutes create a plan for carbs, fluid, and electrolytes during your run to optimize performance and hydration.
- Consult with a Registered Dietitian to determine unique supplements that may be beneficial for you such as magnesium, electrolytes, omega-3s, protein powders, carb drinks, and more.
Link to our blog article for detailed notes on nutrition for running.
Link to our Fullscript account for evidenced-based supplement recommendations.
Link to our Comprehensive Nutrition Coaching program to get started on your journey.
The Vitality Nutrition Team.