FRUIT CRISP >> using seasonal fruit, berries, or rhubarbJul 25, 2020
Fruit crumbles are perfect in any season. Use any local, in-season fruits available! Fresh berries or rhubarb in the summer, stone fruits in the fall, or frozen fruits in the winter.
You can make this recipe more wholesome and filling by topping it with protein-packed vanilla or plain Skyr yogurt or make it more decadent with coconut whip (from the top of a full fat jar of coconut milk), whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream.
In the recipe below, I used a combination of fresh strawberries and rhubarb.
Nutrition Facts will vary based on fruit of choice. If you add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of corn starch to sweeten and thicken the fruit the Nutrition Facts adjust to:
CALORIES: 225 l CARBS: 27g l FAT: 11g l PROTEIN: 5g l FIBRE: 5g
- 4 cups of fruit (~400g), chopped*
- 1 cup (80 g) oats
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) melted coconut oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon (15g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) chopped nuts (I used almonds & cashews)
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) cinnamon
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. See note below.
*if you'd like the recipe sweeter, toss the fruit with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of corn starch to thicken the juices released from the fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Divide your fruit into ramekins, or place into a large baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, oil, brown sugar, chopped nuts, and cinnamon. Mix to combine, then spoon over the cut fruit.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the juices are bubbly, the oatmeal is golden brown, and the fruit is tender.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes before serving. Top with yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream.
Using seasonal fruit not only reduces the cost of the recipe but enhances the nutritional value. In-season fruits are richer in antioxidants and more dense in health promoting vitamins and minerals.
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.