Shrimp and pizza may not be a classic duo but this unique flavour combination might become one of your new favorite pizza recipes!
Our recipe for Prawn Pesto Pizza features a base of flavourful pesto and is topped with sun-dried tomatoes, red onion, feta, and prawns from Charlie's Seafood Market. This pizza is wonderfully balanced thanks to the healthy fats in the feta and pesto and the boost of protein offered from the generous portion of prawns on top!
PRAWN PESTO PIZZA
We calculated a serving as 4 slices or ½ the pizza. If you have a smaller appetite you might wish to divide the pizza into 3 servings with 3 slices (⅓ pizza) as a serving. In this case the nutrition breakdown is 440 calories, 18g of fat, 44g carb, 4g fibre, and 27g protein.
- ½ pound (~22) prawns, raw
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- pinch of salt
- 6 sundried tomatoes, soaked*
- 1 prepared pizza crust**
- ¼ cup pesto
- ¼ small red onion sliced
- ¼ cup (30g) feta, crumbled
* We used sun-dried tomatoes that are not soaked in oil which we rehydrated by soaking in boiling water. However, sun-dried tomatoes marinated in oil also work and don't require soaking! We find the sun-dried tomatoes that aren't soaked in oil in the produce section at Superstore.
** We used the President's Choice thin crust pizza for this recipe. You can find it at Superstore or Independent Grocer. Any other pre-made pizza crust will do or you can opt to prepare a homemade crust!
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Peel and devein the shrimp before marinating the shrimp in lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Set aside.
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water and then slice into small strips. If using sun-dried tomatoes in oil you can skip this step and simply slice the drained sun-dried tomatoes!
- Next, assemble the pizza by layering the pre-made pizza crust with pesto as a base. Then add the sun-dried tomatoes and sliced onion.
- Decorate the pizza with the shrimp and then sprinkle over the feta cheese. Note: you don't need to cook the shrimp ahead of time and can add the shrimp in raw form. The shrimp cook quickly in the oven!
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is crisp and the shrimp is fully cooked.
- Let cool for a minute before slicing the pizza. Pair the pizza with a green salad as a side!
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Check out Comprehensive Nutrition Coaching!
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.