MEXICAN SWEET POTATO SALAD >> a colourful take on a classicMay 01, 2020
A colorful and wholesome spin off of the classic salad. This Mexican-inspired sweet potato salad will be favorite at your next picnic or potluck!
This sweet potato salad puts ‘potato salad’ in a whole new light. There’s texture and crunch from red peppers, black beans add a creamy texture, the corn adds a juicy pop, and the sweet and acidic flavour of the maple dijon dressing brightens the dish!
I made this recipe for a Mother's Day picnic in a meadow near our farm. It was a hit! The leftovers were even better as the sweet, spicy, and tangy dressing had a chance to marinate for longer.
MEXICAN SWEET POTATO SALAD
- 2 medium (600g) sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn, rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed
- 1 bell pepper (150g), diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- (optional) handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Juice of one lime
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Add the diced sweet potatoes to a baking tray. Spritz with non-stick cooking spray and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potato cubs easily pierce with a fork.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse a can of corn and black beans. Add the corn and black beans to a large mixing bowl.
- Dice one bell pepper and 4 sprigs of green onion and add them alongside the corn and black bean mixture.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, prepare the salad dressing by combining one tablespoon each of oil, dijon mustard, and maple syrup. Squeeze in the juice of one lime and ½ teaspoon each of cumin and chili powder. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and whisk.
- When the sweet potatoes cool, add them to the black bean, corn, and pepper mixture. Toss the salad in the dressing. Garnish with optional cilantro.
- Serve as a side dish or add avocado, chicken, or extra veggies like tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumber for a complete meal.
While the potato salad is the perfect accompaniment to a summer BBQ, you can turn the leftovers into a complete meal and satisfying salad. Just add some protein like chicken and fat like avocado and extra veggies like lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber.
If you follow the Vitality Nutrition Fundamental Four Formula, this lunch-time salad includes:
- Volume: romaine lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumber
- Fibre-filled carb: corn, black beans, and sweet potato
- Fats: avocado + a bit of oil used in the salad dressing!
- Protein: chicken
- Freebies: spices in the dressing, small amount of maple syrup, and fresh cilantro!
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.