Salmon Burgers with Lemon Dill Yogurt SauceJul 23, 2021
These healthy salmon burgers are rich in omega-3 fats and grilled to perfection. The burgers are dolloped with a lemon dill yogurt sauce and topped with vibrant veggies for a fresh take on a summer burger!
SALMON BURGERS WITH LEMON DILL YOGURT SAUCE
Nutrition Facts are for a salmon patty alone without the bun, toppings, and lemon dill yogurt sauce.
- 1 pound sockeye salmon fillet, skinless
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoon dill, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
LEMON DILL YOGURT SAUCE
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon mayo
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 sliced of tomato
- 4 slices of red onion
- 2 cups arugula
- If still attached, remove the skin from the fish. Cut the salmon fillet into small cubes.
- In a food processor or blender, add salmon cubes, egg, dijon mustard, green onion, capers, dill, salt, and pepper. Pulse and scrape down sides until coarsely ground. There should be some small chunks and not overly pureed.
- Evenly divide the salmon mixture into four portions and shape into patties.
- You can prepare the burgers on the stove top or barbecue:
- Cook on the Stovetop: Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Evenly grease the surface of the pan with olive oil. Add the patties and cook until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Cook on the Barbecue: Heat grill over medium heat. Once hot, add the patties. Cover and cook until char marks appear, about 3 to 4 minutes.
LEMON DILL YOGURT SAUCE
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, shallots, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper.
- Right before serving, toast the burger buns.
- Add the burger to a bun and top the burger with a spoonful of the lemon dill sauce.
- Next, top the burger with avocado, tomato, onion, and arugula.
At Vitality Nutrition, we teach a formula called the Fundamental Four (ie. F4!) that provides flexible guidance on how to build balanced and fuel-focused meals. Let's take a look at the F4 in this recipe:
- PROTEIN: salmon and a boost from the Greek yogurt in the sauce
- CARB: whole grain buns (we used the Silver Hills multigrain bun and the O'dough sandwich buns are a gluten-free alternative. Both of these products are found in the natural food section at Superstore in the frozen isle).
- FAT: avocado as a topping and mayo in the sauce
- VOLUME: tomatoes, arugula, onion and a side salad if desired
- FREEBIES: lemon juice, salt and pepper, dill, and capers
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation. Looking for more burger inspiration? Try our Mediterranean Turkey Burgers!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.