Cucumber Salad with Greek Yogurt DressingAug 09, 2023
Light, creamy, crunchy! Garden cucumber salad is a summer classic. Our healthy version uses plain Greek yogurt in the creamy dressing for a boost of protein!
Cucumber salad is a dish I grew up eating in the summer. As soon as the garden cucumbers were ready, cucumber was on the menu as a crunchy summer side dish. My mom made a very simple version using vinegar, salt, and pepper. My grandpa, on the other hand, made a creamy version using sour cream! I love the creamy version and my recreation of the recipe features Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. However, you can easily use sour cream if that is your preference or what you have available in the fridge!
Our Registered Dietitians often recommend that clients boost the 'volume' content of their meals by adding nutritious vegetables that contain vitamins, minerals, fibre, and hydrating fluid. Cucumber salad is a delicious way to boost the volume in your meals!
- 2 cucumbers
- ¼ red onion
- ½ cup (120g) plain Greek yogurt*
- 2 tablespoons (30g) light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper
* you can replace the Greek yogurt with sour cream
- Slice the cucumbers into ¼ inch thick slices. We used long English cucumbers and kept the skin on. If using field cucumbers, you may want to peel the cucumber before slicing.
- Slice the red onion into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt, mayo, dill, vinegar, sugar, and salt + pepper. Taste the dressing and add more salt or pepper to meet your preferences!
- Add the cucumbers and onions to the bowl and gently mix to coat the vegetables in the dressing.
- Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes before serving to allow the vegetables to marinate.
Links to kitchen tools we used in this recipe:
Looking for more salad recipes? Try our Greek salad!
If you are looking for support from a Registered Dietitian to plan balanced, nutritious, and quick snacks then click here to learn more about our services. Our team of Registered Dietitians supports clients in-person in Saskatoon and Regina and virtually across Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, and British Columbia!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.