CHIA SEED JAM >> no-added sugar & high-fibre!Jul 12, 2020
Chia Seed Jam is my absolute favorite topping for waffles and pancakes. It’s high in fibre, easy to make, and contains healthy omega-3 fats!
This recipe has no added sugar and it really doesn't need it. The sweetness comes naturally from the berries and the thickening comes naturally from the chia seeds that gel from the juices released by the berries when they thaw.
Enjoy this jam on toast, on oatmeal to naturally sweeten, on a Greek yogurt parfait with granola, or as a colorful topping to waffles or pancakes. It's loaded with antioxidants, fiber, minerals, vitamins and omega-3 fats from the chia seeds.
CHIA SEED JAM
- 1 cup (140g) frozen berries
- 1 tbsp (12g) chia seeds
- Add your frozen berries of choice to a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for about 2 minutes or until the berries are completely melted and the juices have been released.
- Add the chia seeds and mash with a fork. You can completely breakdown the berries or leave larger chunks if you'd like.
- Let the mixture stand to thicken.
- The mixture will cook down by about half. This means 1 cup of berries makes 1/2 cup of jam. I usually use about 1/4 cup as one serving so this recipe makes 2 servings. I recommend doubling the recipe if you'd like leftovers for the week!
- Store any leftover jam in the fridge. It will last for up to a week!
You can combine the ingredients on a pot on the stove. Bring to a gentle simmer and then let stand allow the chia to absorb all of the juices!
If you prefer not to microwave you can simple combine all ingredients in the bowl and let sit at room temperature for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally for the chia seeds to absorb the thawed juices.
You can double, triple, or quadruple the recipe. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days!
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.