These burrito-inspired breakfast wraps are filled with eggs, hearty refried beans, vibrant peppers, and flavourful cheese. Having a stash in the freezer makes packing a nutritious breakfast or lunch a breeze!
Many of our clients are busy people who need quick, energizing meals on-the-go. We designed these burritos with protein, fibre-rich carbs, and satisfying fats for a balance of nutrients that will keep you well fuelled through your work day! Prep a batch of these freezer burritos and reheat in the microwave for breakfast on-the-go or let them thaw in your bag to warm up for an easy work-day lunch!
FREEZER BREAKFAST BURRITOS
* nutrition breakdown is using extra lean ground turkey.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium (150g) onion, diced
- 2 (300g) bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning*
- 1 pound (454g) extra lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup (250g) egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- 10 whole-grain tortillas
- 1 can (398mL) refried beans
- 1 cup (120g) cheddar cheese, grated
*if you'd like to make a homemade taco seasoning use 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic power, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add the onions, bell peppers, and tao seasoning and cook until the vegetables are translucent. You may have to add a splash of water to deglaze the skillet and prevent burning.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the ground meat and cook until no longer pink. Remove the meat mixture from the skillet and place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Next, clean the skillet and spritz with non-stick spray. Whisk the egg whites and eggs in a separate bowl and then add the egg mixture to the skillet and stir until fully cooked.
- Spread each whole grain tortilla with refried beans. Then top the refried beans with the meat mixture and the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over top of the meat and egg mixture and tightly fold and roll each wrap. Place the wraps seam-side down on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the wraps are lightly golden.
- Allow the wraps to cool to room temperature before wrapping them in parchment paper and freezing.
- To reheat, remove from the freezer and thaw in your lunch bag or the fridge until you are ready to eat. Alternatively, thaw the wrap in the microwave for 1 minute and then flip the wrap and microwave for another minute. Continue to heat at 30-second intervals until the wrap is heated through.
- If you’d like, you can top the wraps with extra garnishes like salsa, guacamole, sour cream, avocado slices, or hot sauce when you are ready to enjoy!
When working with clients inside of our Comprehensive Nutrition Coaching program, we often recommend that clients boost the protein content of their breakfast. While individual protein needs vary, we find most clients thrive with 20g or more of protein at their first meal of the day. One of these breakfast wraps is loaded with over 20g of protein plus fibre to keep you satisfied for longer!
WE WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe or a variation of it? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram so we can see your creation!
Ready to bring the evidence-based nutrition support of our Registered Dietitians into your kitchen?
Check out Comprehensive Nutrition Coaching!
Hungry for more?
Get recipes, tips, and updates from the Vitality Nutrition team straight to your inbox!
Don't worry, your information won't be shared.