BUTTER CHICKEN >> simple, aromatic, and flavorful
Apr 30, 2020
It's definitely quick and easy to purchase butter chicken sauce from a jar!, however, it is surprisingly easy to make it at home. With simple ingredients and flavourful spices, this butter chicken is super wholesome and nourishing.
Most recipes call for dairy-based cream but my version uses coconut milk making it perfect for anyone with a dairy allergy or intolerance! The blended cashews thicken the sauce and add a creamy texture. The canned coconut milk adds just the right amount of sweetness to this delicious curry.
Rice and naan make the perfect pair soak up all of the delicious and flavourful sauce. Since there aren't any veggies in butter chicken (aside from the diced tomato), I like to serve it alongside of a big beautiful salad or roasted cauliflower. You could also make cauliflower "rice" as a volume-packed alternative to regular rice.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger, minced
- 1 large (300g) onion
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam marsala
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 can full fat coconut milk*
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomato
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup (30g) cashews
- 12 ounces (336g) chicken, raw and diced
- Optional: fresh cilantro
*I've tried using light coconut milk but full fat is the way to go for this recipe. Far more flavourful!
- To a large pot on medium-high heat, saute the oil with the garlic, ginger, and onion. Deglaze the pan with water as needed.
- Add the cumin, garam marsala, and coriander to the pot and cook for a minute or so. This step is important as it allows the spices to 'bloom' and brings out their flavour!
- Add the boullion cube, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut milk, and cashews and let simmer for at least 15 minutes. Reserve 2 tbsp of the coconut milk if you'd like to use it for garnish later on!
- Blend the mixture with an immersion blender or transfer it to a standing blender.
- Add the diced chicken to the pot (or use leftover grilled chicken) and let it simmer on low until the chicken is cooked through. The longer it cooks the more flavourful the dish!
- Serve the butter chicken over whole grain rice and/or a side of naan.
- To garnish, sprinkle your portion of butter chicken with fresh cilantro and a swirl of coconut milk that you reserved from the can.
I WANNA KNOW!
Did you try this recipe? Comment below! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!